Monday, October 4, 2010

Chapter 6

I learned a lot about compound claims in chapter 6. “A compound claims is one composing of other claim but which has to be viewed as just one claim” (EPSTEIN 113).  So I have been using compound claims all my life, ever since I learned how to write. A compound word consists of one word that can link two claims to make a compound. The word “or” makes a sentence a compound sentence. An example of a compound claim is:  should I get the black dress, or the red dress? I also learned in this chapter about modus ponens. This is a type of reasoning that if A, then B +A=B. An example of this is, if Rocco barks, then Jayden will wake up. A= Rocco barks, B= Jayden will wake up. It is an easy concept to learn. The opposite of this type of reasoning is called modus tollens, If A, then B+ not B, so not A. 

No comments:

Post a Comment