Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Interesting 411

Contrapositive’s are interesting in chapter 6. Contrapositive’s are claims that are equivalent to one another if each is true. “The contrapositive of If A, then B is If not B, then not A. A claim and its contrapositive are equivalent” (EPSTEIN 124).  I have been using this type of claim for a long time and I never knew. I never had a teacher with me 24/7, pointing out what types of sentences I was using. Everyone uses contrapositive but they do not know. Now you know. This book tells it all! An example of contrapositive is:
If I go to prom, then my friends will go to prom.
If my friends went to prom, then I went to prom.
Another example is that is easier to understand contrapositive is via contrapositive.
If you pass I behind the wheel test, then I will get my license.
If i just got my license in the mail, then I passed my behind the wheel test.




2 comments:

  1. Hey again girl!
    Again, I feel stupid whenever I read your blogs. Not trying to insult but whenever I read from the text, I find that examples they use can be a little confusing but your examples always help me out. I didn't know about contrapositive claims and what they meant exactly but you make it very clear for me to comprehend. Basically, they are true vice versa. I also never had a teacher with me every minute of the day to let me know what kinds of sentences and statements. But yet again, you did a good job explaining these concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m really happy I encountered your blog post on contrapositive’s because it’s a bit confusing for me to understand the first time I read about it. Contrapositives as you have stated, are “claims that are equivalent to one another if each is true”. Your examples of contrapositives in your blog posts really help me understand it’s true meaning. I think people don’t realize that we use claims every single day. Your examples really make it very clear of what each claim is implying, that A is going to imply B, and if it isn’t then it’s A. Thanks for making it clearer for me than the book.

    ReplyDelete