Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chapter 7


Chapter 7 is all about counter-arguments. In this section, I have learned about raising objections. What that means is that it is a “standard way to show that an argument is bad” (EPSTEIN 147). So we are questioning one’s statement or question. The book gives an good example of a raising objection. An example of mines is

Me: Let us go to the mall because I need more sweaters!
BFF: You have a lot already.
Me: Yes, but i need more to keep me warm in the winter.
BFF: You need to save your money for your car. You have no money to spend and plus you already have a closet filled with sweaters.

Here I have constructed an example of a raising objection. BFF would always object my claim.
Another thing I learned in this chapter is, refuting an argument. Direct ways of refuting an argument is to “show that at least one of the premises is dubious, show that the argument isn’t valid or strong, and show that the conclusion is false” (EPSTEIN 149). If the sentence is unrepairable or has a false conclusion, then the sentence is refuting an argument. 

3 comments:

  1. After reading your post, your example reminded me of myself. I would always want to buy new sweaters for the upcoming season. I always feel the need to buy more jackets when others may think I have enough. It just doesn’t feel enough to me or I don’t know if they know how much sweaters is considered enough! A conversation like that is a great example of a counterargument because both sides try to win their point of views, but in the end, each side still commits to their decision of the argument. Objections will always take place everyday without us realizing it. Good job on the blog post along with citing the page numbers from the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aria, after reading your post, i really liked your post about counterarguments. I especially liked your examples, it was really funny. This really reminds me of my brother and i, he is always buying clothes online and im like, you have enough clothes, you need to save your money on something else, probably your car insurance, but he just shrugs his shoulders. But in any sort of conversation, counterarguments will always take place so that another conversation is born. At the same time, one decision will still be made so that the conversation gets to a conclusion. Overall, great example and great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 7 was interesting and had many useful topics that can be used in an argument. I enjoyed reading your summary of Counter-arguments. I like how you explained raising objectives into detail. I like how you explained Refuting arguments as well. You made it very easy and very clear to understand. I like you example of raising objectives in an argument. I like how you showed in each line how your bff objected every line you said in the argument. With refuting arguments, I like how you mentioned that it is refuting an argument if the claim is unrepairable. Overall, I think you did a good job breaking down parts of chapter 7.

    ReplyDelete