Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Interesting 411

I thought that appeal to spite was an interesting emotion. An appeal to spite emotion is “a logical fallacy in which someone attempts to win favor for their argument by exploiting existing feelings of bitterness or spite in the opposing party” (fact-index.com). It means an emotion of revenge. Oh how I love this fallacy. There is nothing better than revenge. I can always forgive and forget, but there are some things that I cannot forgive and forget.  Not that I am a bad person or anything, but there are times when I feel like revenge is needed. If they do me wrong, I cannot just say its okay and move on; it is payback time.  A personal example of mines is that I have a friend who ditched me for her boyfriend. When her boyfriend broke up with her, she came running back to me. I did not like that, because she was always with her boyfriend and never had time for me, so when her boyfriend broke up with her, she came back to me and wanted to hang out. I am not a stuffed animal that you can come back to whenever you wanted. No way! So I told her I was busy, though I was not.  Another non-personal example is
Lailani- I cannot choose between Kailee or Emma. Um... Ok I am voting for Kailee for prom queen this year.
Victoria- I know I should not tell you this, but oh whatever Kailee and I are not friends anymore.
Lailani- What is it, tell me?
Victoria- Well… this is hard to say, but she called you a B***H at the library during winter break.
Lailani- Oh great! Scratch that, I am voting for Emma!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aria! I agree that appeal to spite is an interesting concept. It is amazing how many people use this concept in everyday lives. Normally, if someone hurts or does something bad to us, we will retaliate at times. In the book, it uses an example of how you shouldn't do a favor for someone if they didn't want to do a favor for you last week. In my blog, I talked about appeal to fear which I find to be very manipuilative and effective. Politicians use it all the time. Like Jerry Brown in this past midterm election against Meg Whitman. In the book it uses an example of a cell phone company trying to scare people into buying their cell phones because they showed an ad that said people could end up stranded in the middle of night with a broken car. They would need a cell phone to call them to get help.

    ReplyDelete