Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Good Arguments


A good argument is in which “the premises give good reason to believe that the conclusion is true” (Epstein 37). To get a good argument, the premises has to be reasonable, the premises has to be more practical than the conclusion. A couple examples I came up with are:
1.     “My best friends eyelashes are thin and short. Today it is thick, black, and long. Therefore, she put on false eyelashes”.

2.     “I saw Carissa walking in the car with a flower dress on. When she came out of the car, she had black Juicy Couture velour sweat suit on. Therefore, she changed in the car”. I think that this is a good example of a good argument because the premise gives a good reason to believe that the conclusion is true.

            Another good argument is when the sentence is strong, example,
3.                             Jessica: Who let the dog in the house? I’m not cleaning up his mess!
           Jessica’s sister: Your brother!
           Jessica: How do you know?
 Jessica’s sister: Well only you, mom, Jeremiah and I have the house keys. Mom is at work until 10 pm and we both were at school until now.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your examples. I think that you have made 3 good examples, especially for the second one. For the first and the last example, I think there are still other ways things can happen differently and people can argue with the conclusions. However, I think that with the 3 great examples you have. If you explain how to prove the argument to be good or bad argument, it will be even more effective. The reader will definitely can see what is good or bad about the argument. But still, great job on your examples.

    ReplyDelete