Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Plausible & Implausible Claims


Plausible claim is when there is a good given reason for one to believe that it is true. Now with implausible claim, it is the opposite. I know you can already guess what it means, but let me tell you. Implausible claim means we have no reason to believe that the claim is true. It is like if you have an argument with your parents because they think you are too young to go to a house party hosted by the popular football player/intelligent/cute guy in school. If you do not give good reasons to your parents, they will more than likely not let you attend the party, but if give them plausible reasons why you should go, they might just let. This happened to me this weekend. My room isn’t even messy and my mom says, “Clean your room now” and I said “why”? My mother would always reply back “because I said so”. That isn’t really convincing or believable. But there is always something about mothers that intimidates you, so you do what she tells you, or else…….

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I know EXACTLY what you mean when it comes to mothers and messy rooms. I go through that episode with my mom every week. For me though, the plausible explanation I give her for not cleaning my room is because I work four days a week and go to school three days a week which is why I've been too tired to clean up my room. It is definitely a plausible reason and it could definitely hold some truth to it. An implausible explanation I give my mother for not cleaning my room is "no one's going to see my room but me, so why should I?" Definitely no truth to that because for all I know, my mom sees my room which is why she's always bugging me to clean it. Good examples, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is a good one. This totally describes every teenager's life when they are living at home with a mother watching over them. For sure when we become parents (if we decide to), we will come up with better claims and reasoning for our children to clean our room rather than the cliche come back "because I said so". Also, if our mothers provided reasoning, they it would become more apparent and more understandable to us why we must do what they tell us to do. Then, maybe it would even have kids/teenagers have more reasoning to not question their parents because the parents really do know what is best and displays it with the way they reason with their children.

    ReplyDelete