Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Interesting 411


What I found very useful and interesting in chapter 2 is the descriptive and prescriptive claims. If a claim is descriptive, it says what is. Prescriptive on the other hand means it says what it should be. For example, they should legalize same sex marriages is a prescriptive claim because it says what it should be. But not all judgment claims are prescriptive. I think that descriptive and prescriptive claims are good to know for the future. Putting in a couple of words can make the sentence sound and mean different. An example of a descriptive claim would be something like this; Best Buy store sells a lot of electronic. This is what it is, not what should be because Best Buy already sells electronic items. I was with my BFF and last week marked the 1st year since we have become friends. We were in the car and we passed a tattoo shop. My BFF said, “We should get matching BFF tattoos”. That is another example of a prescriptive claim. I never knew after all these years, that I have been using descriptive and prescriptive claims. 

1 comment:

  1. After reading your post it really made me realize how important these types of claims are and how they are used so much on a daily basis. I found your post easy to understand and very helpful in further explaining descriptive and prescriptive claims. Your examples really helped to give a clear idea of the differences between the two. I too never really realized that I have been using these types of claims my whole life. It’s interesting to me to now know what they are called. I notice myself using these types of claims and remembering what they mean.

    ReplyDelete