Monday, September 13, 2010

Violating the Principle of Rational Discussion

Many people have written many bad fallacies, and they do not even know that they are writing terrible ones. I for one admit that I have been writing many awful fallacies. I believe the definition of fallacy is when there is a false reasoning in an argument. Fallacy “A fallacy is a bad argument of one of the types that have been agreed to be typically unrepairable” (Epstein 199). There are six types of violation in the principle of rational discussions. There are “begging the question, strawman, shifting the burden proof, relevance, slanders, and ridicule”. A ridicule fallacy means when you try to mock someone, making them a joke in order to prove and convince what you are saying. An example would be “That shirt is so dreadful; you would see Lilly wear that type of stuff”. This is an example of ridicule fallacy because this sentence is mocking Lilly and the type of clothes she wears.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you summarize your blog on the Principle of Rational Discussion very organized! Yes, many or all of us has at least used a fallacy in our statements that could have been unintentional. Great job on citing the quote from the book on the definition of a fallacy! It shows that you know how to cite and not plagiarize. Your example of a ridicule fallacy is a perfect example because it is something I have heard around before that is very hurtful. People that would say that sort of things must have a very bad self-esteem to pick on others. I just hope that it's not you or somebody who has referred to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you wrote blog on violating the principle of rational discussion. I like how you included that you probably made many bad fallacies; I think everyone does at one point or another. I agree with your definition of fallacy. I think fallacy is a false in an argument as well. I enjoyed reading your example of a ridicule fallacy. I think it was well written. I think the attitude of how the statement is said makes it ridicule as well. Making fun of lily's shirt gives a tone making it a convincing statement. I also like how you organized your response. Overall, I think you did great explaining fallacies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good example of a fallacy! I'm pretty sure most, if not all of us, have used fallacies in order to get our points across or...just to prove someone wrong, haha. Your blog was straightforward yet it described the concept of fallacies in good detail. As messed up as that sounds, I've used a ridicule fallacy against someone else...it was actually unconsciously done. Good job breaking down the definition of a fallacy, especially when there are different variations. Sometimes the book has paragraph after paragraph, just to explain a single concept. And it gets annoying to read but at least you're making it easier to understand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aria!
    I liked your example of fallacy. I also liked your summary on the Principle of Rational Discussion. It was right on point. Admitting that you made many bad fallacies is hard to do. Just flat out admitting that you lied is hard period! I agree with your definition of fallacy to. Your definition was somewhat similar to mine. Everyone has used fallacies in their everyday routine. Its bad, but we are human after all. I enjoyed going over your example of a ridicule fallacy. The concept was good and I hope you are not the one being referred to!

    ReplyDelete