Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Structure of Argument


I chose the first one on the structure of argument exercise. Yes I do believe that there is an argument in this short paragraph. The conclusion is “It is bad for the neighborhood, and it will decrease property value”. There is no need to add additional premise. In my opinion, I believe the subargument is in sentence one and two because it is the  “conclusion that turns around and acts as a premise in support of a further conclusion”. I don’t think this is a good argument, but it is ok to start off with. It needs to be revised and add more details. I thought that this exercise was very useful because it tells me what I am doing, and what I am explaining. This exercise gives me a clear understanding on what I am doing and what I am missing; such as, a conclusion. If I was missing a conclusion, I would need to put one in or else I am giving the premises for no reason and nothing will make since. Another example, if I were missing an argument, it also wouldn’t be right. This is like an organizational chart, meaning a chart that tells you what you need to improve on or what you are doing that is good. This is very useful and I think it’s a good structure of making a good argument. 

No comments:

Post a Comment